“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you- John 14:26.”
What is the Ministry of the Holy Spirit?
The ministry of the Holy Spirit is the work of the Holy Spirit. Ministry means divine assignment. Until we have adequate knowledge of what the ministry of the Holy Spirit is, our Christianity will remain a struggle. Jesus Himself had to depend on the ministry of the Holy Spirit. The more you are informed about the personality and mission of the Holy Spirit, the more you will want to relate with Him.
The ministry of the Holy Spirit refers to the functions of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer and in the assembly of believers in Christ Jesus. Adequate knowledge about the Holy Spirit and His ministry is the believer’s victory in every sphere of life. The Holy Spirit is our uninhibited access to our limitless inheritance in Christ Jesus. No one has a better understanding of the Holy Spirit and His ministry like Apostle Paul – please see, Ephesians 1:17-23. The ministry of the Holy Spirit is to:
- Make you wise. Are you in need of wisdom? Seek the Holy Spirit; He is the giver of wisdom- 1 Corinthians 12:8; Isaiah 11:2.
- Reveal God to us. Are you in need of knowledge? Ask from the Holy Spirit who gives knowledge – Isaiah 11:2
- Cause your mind to see God’s light so that you will know what the hope to which He has called you is – Ephesians 1:17-18.
- Help you know how rich and wonderful the blessings God promises you are. You have been blessed with all manner of spiritual blessings in Christ Jesus. The Holy Spirit is your access to these blessings – Ephesians 1:18b; 1:3
- Help you know how very great is His power that is at work in you who believe – Ephesians 1:19
- Help you know that this power working in you is the same as the mighty strength which He used when He raised Jesus Christ from the dead and seated Him at His right side in the heavens- Ephesians 1:19-20.
- Makes you understand that Jesus Christ rules above heavenly rulers, authorities, powers and lords- Ephesians 1:19-22; Colossians 1:16-20
- Help you understand that Jesus Christ has a title superior to all titles and authority in this world and in the world to come – Ephesians 1:19
- Help you to know that God has put all things under Christ’s feet and gave Him to us (the church) as Supreme Lord over all things – Ephesians 1:22.
- Help you to know that you are the body of Christ, the completion of Him who Himself completes all things everywhere – Ephesians 1:22.
[bctt tweet=”The Holy Spirit is the giver of wisdom. #HolySpirit #seekinghiswisdom” username=”AngelaLowe20″]
The Ministry of the Holy Spirit in Our Lives
The Father sends us the Holy Spirit to fulfil the following:
- TEACHING: the role of the Holy Spirit is to teach you about the Father, Jesus Christ, the Kingdom of God and all that we need to know to excel in life. Effective teaching and learning in spiritual matters begin and ends with the Holy Spirit. You cannot understand the word of God without the Holy Spirit irrespective of your academic qualifications. Does it not beat your imagination how uneducated people read, understand and teach the Word of God? He is the teacher of all teachers. Whatever you seek to know about God, your mission and ministry on earth, the perfect will of God, what to do to succeed in life and ministry, the word of God and what have you, will be made clear to you by the Holy Spirit. That is why He is the Spirit of knowledge. It was He who came upon Bezaleel such that he was anointed to build the tabernacle of God’s presence (Exodus 31:1-5).
- GUIDING: Divine direction is by the Holy Spirit as seen in the words of Jesus in John 16:13. The Holy Spirit is sent to guide us in the way to go. Total dependence on the Holy Spirit leads to victory upon victory. The Holy Spirit is our access to our inheritance in Christ Jesus.
- REVEALING: The Holy Spirit brings glory to Christ by taking from what is His and showing or revealing to us (John 16:14). The Spirit searches the mind of God and reveals God’s mind to us for our benefit (1 Corinthians 2:9-11). He alone knows the plans God has for us and He is the One that has authentic revelation of what God has in store for us. We should therefore ask the Holy Spirit for a revelation concerning what God has in store for us.
- COUNSELLING: Jesus Christ promised us, saying: “And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counsellor to be with you forever – the Spirit of truth…” – John 14:16. A counsellor is an analyst, he gives insight and guidance to situations and helps us when we are confused and frustrated to find the way out and gives us reasons not to give up hope. At the very dark moments of life, no one has the life-giving words like the Holy Spirit. We all should learn how to reach Him as we expect Him to spark back in us life and we will see light at the end of the tunnel.
- ADVOCATING: Jesus Christ also admonished His disciples saying, “When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities… the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what to say” – Luke 12:11-12. An advocate is a defender; the Holy Spirit is given to us for our defense when we may be brought before an unjust trial. Do not fidget on how you will defend yourself about the kingdom of God as the Holy Spirit will teach you what to say.
The Holy Spirit, who is our defense, is available today to do same for us.
[bctt tweet=”The HolySpirit teaches, guides, counsels, and advocates for us while revealing the wisdom of God to us. #HolySpirit #MyCounsel” username=”AngelaLowe20″]
We want to hear from you
I would love to hear how this article impacted you or any questions you have. Make sure to leave a comment below or contact us today. Thank You.
If you know someone who could use more of the peace of Christ — share this with them using the “share” button below.
Angela Lowe, MS. Ed., LPC
Angela Lowe is a licensed Professional Counselor, trained Biblical Counselor and certified Holistic Health Coach. Her kingdom mandate is to restore God’s counsel to transform lives, marriages, and churches worldwide.